If you are considering purchasing or selling your home in the Lexington, Blythewood,Columbia, Chapin or Lake Murray areas, you might consider these simple tips on how to use Energy Wisely by taking control of your energy bills. These tips can help you be more energy efficient. You'll be surprised at how much you can save just by making a few changes in how you live and work.
1. Replace standard incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs (CFLs), which use up to 75% less energy.
2. Unplug appliances, lights, TVs, computers, etc. when not in use.
3. Set your thermostat at 68¢ªF or lower in the winter and 78¢ªF or higher in the summer. Each degree higher or lower can significantly increase your heating costs in winter and cooling costs in summer.
4. Programmable thermostats (when programmed properly) can allow you to conveniently maintain the comfort of your home when you're there and reduce energy costs when you're not. Buy a programmable thermostat specifically designed for your heating and cooling unit.
5. Check air filters monthly and change when dirty. Leave interior doors open and do not close vents to allow adequate air flow through your heating and cooling system.
6. Periodically check your ducts for leaks or tears. Repair fallen or crushed duct work and use mastic (a plastic like substance found at your local hardware store) to seal leaks.
7. Have your central heating and cooling system serviced annually by a professional. This can extend the life of the system while maintaining optimum efficiency.
8. Upgrade your attic insulation to a minimum of R-38 (12-14 inches), which can help save on heating and cooling costs.
9. Caulk, seal, and weather-strip around all seams, cracks and openings to protect against drafts. Pay special attention to windows and exterior doors.
10. Set your water heater at 120°F and periodically visually inspect the unit for leaks.
Melissa Dille is a Real Estate Professional with EXIT Midlands Realty in Chapin, SC. She has been assisting clients with purchasing and selling their homes in the Columbia, Irmo, Lexington, Chapin and Newberry areas. Feel free to call her with any of your real estate needs or questions at 803-315-1940, or feel free to email her at Melissa@scexit.com.
Author:Tami Houmiel Phone: 803-606-8712 Dated: March 9th 2016 Views: 1,778 About Tami: ...
Chapin, SC is known as "The Capital of Lake Murray" and with good reason. The residents of Chapin enjoy a relaxed lifestyle with the convenience of the city. Columbia, SC is just a quick 20 minute drive and shopping is even closer.You are embarking on an exciting journey, be sure that you find agents that will take time and share your enthusiasm during this process.
EXIT Midlands Realty is a full service real estate firm dedicated to assisting our clients with the purchase and sale of real estate in the Greater Columbia Area. We were founded in 2005 and quickly grew into one of the most innovative and knowledgeable firms in and around Columbia. Our staff is made up of full time professional agents that are dedicated to the profession of listing and selling real estate.
Call one of our experienced agents to assist you with your real estate needs. It would be an honor to work with you.